Check out this great article in the New Haven Independent about TAKE 5, August 2nd – August 26th, featuring 5 of the gallery's newest members:
Take 5, a small group exhibition, features the work of five of the gallery’s newest members, working in a wide variety of media, including photography, printmaking, pastel, collage, and mixed-media. Though each artist is distinctly unique, shared themes of dance, music, spirit, energy, and storytelling emerge in the collection.
Kim Weston’s most recent collection of photographs incorporate movement and strong colors. Created during Native American pow-wows, Weston states she shoots in time with the rhythm of the drum, and aims to connect with the spirit of what she is photographing.
Amanda Walker’s latest collection of mixed media drawings incorporate her ever-present focus on artifice and masks, and center around the idea of a “Dance Macabre.” The artist states the series grew from a place of fear and uncertainty in what is happening in our country today.
Joan Jacobson-Zamore presents a series of prints and stencil monotypes of “dreamscapes of trees.” The works incorporate bold colors, movement and music, with each stencil print expressing a different sound.
Kate Henderson calls her current series of pastel collages “Adventures in Feminism.” As with all her work, Henderson is interested in the energy of line and gesture and how that transforms us, and sees her art-making as a spiritual practice.
Brian Flinn will be presenting a collection of digital collages and drawings in which disparate materials and images are organized around a defined structure. The artist states narratives then emerge intuitively.
Throughout the exhibition, a series of free special events and programs are planned in partnership with ArtEcon Initiative (www.arteconinitiative.org). Programs include:
- Sunday, August 5th @ 4pm: History, Culture and Spirituality in Indigenous Dance w/ Laura Fuller-Weston and RavensWing Productions
- Wednesday, August 8th @ 7pm: Digital Art Demo and Discussion w/ Brian Flinn
- Saturday, August 11th @ 2pm: The Impact of Community on Art: Panel Discussion with the Artists
- Sunday, August 12th @ 4pm: Dancing with Lines: Workshop for All Ages w/ Kate Henderson
- Wednesday, August 15th @ 7pm: Pastel Workshop for Adults w/ Kate Henderson